11/27/07

4 for 4, in a bad way

That picture to the right is me riding my Cyclo-cross (CX) bike at the Pork Chop CX race in September. I bought the bike, a Salsa Las Cruces, this fall to do a couple CX races and use it for winter riding. Basically it is a beefed up road bike with larger knobby tires but is not a mountain bike, I need to remember this.

I have ridden the bike 4 times now (longer than 10 minutes) and have crashed 4 times.

Ride #1 - Pork Chop CX, Crash #1 - notice my left knee in the picture. I crashed hard trying, and failing, to unclip from my pedal going into a barrier.

Ride #2 - Milaca CX, no crashes, good ride.

Ride #3 - Monticello MTB trail, Crashes #2 & #3, with my MTB in the shop awaiting a new frame I took the CX bike, both crashes I stopped dead and flew over the bars once by a log I thought I could roll over (like I could do on a MTB) and once a stick got caught in my spokes and threw me.

Ride #4 - Not wanting to miss the weekly night ride at the north loop I thought I would ride the CX bike, again over the bars on a steep switch-back down hill. I got a 10 from the crowd on my dismount. A little skin off the right knee this time but a still not deturred and I will try again.

Mike offered me his Scalpel to use until mine is fixed, I may have to take him up on that before I hurt myself.

It is fun though!

4 comments:

Doc said...

I know those CX bike crashes well, usually trying to follow Matt and Jim on MTB trails. It's tricky, especially because the bottom bracket is lower and the chainring catches stuff.

On another note, I doubt I would've caught a cracked MTB frame because mine is usually so mudcaked I can't see the frame. I need to do better with the bikewash thing.

Snow finally coming???

Jeffro said...

Sounds like a little snow tonight and tomorrow.

Ben said...

Snow? What snow? Woke up this morning and looked outside to nothing...again. Sounds like the gun will start pumping out snow this Thursday!
Ben

Jeffro said...

Sweet! Skiing this weekend?