I got out of work a little early Friday so the family could head up to Walker for the weekend. They dropped me off in Hackensack and I rode the rest of the way up from there. I had decided to not ride the Paul Bunyan and Heartland trail up to Walker since I brought my cross bike. I tryed some of the gravel roads and worked my way through the woods to Walker.
I headed out saturday morning on my bike with a specific route in mind of about 65 miles of gravel roads to and through the Paul Bunyan State Forest. I was really bummed out when the second gravel road I hit 5 miles into my ride was a dead end and didn't connect to the rest of my route like the maps showed. I had to back-track about 2 miles then take the pavement around anothe 2 miles until I was back on gravel and in the forest.
From then on it was great. The roads ranged from rock hard packed gravel 30 feet wide to trails I wished I had my mountain bike on. No long climbs but alot of short steep rollers. On one hill my Garmin measured the incline at 17%, not easy on loose dry gravel and over inflated cross tires.
I stopped after 2 hours to take some pictures with my phone but they didn't turn out very well.
I ended up skipping a loop in the forest and cutting the end short to get back in time for lunch plans but the still had 60 miles with 6 miles paved. I saw cars only the first 10 miles, the 1.25 miles along Hwy 64 and one about 1/2 way. I almost got lonely.
I am thinking about Mid October going back up when the leaves are changing and doing the ride again if I can find time, I think I have something planned every weekend into November.
We hit up the Ethnic Fest in Walker for some food, music and crafts. I took the kids to the beach for probably the last time of the year, had a fantastic dinner at Boulders then went out fishing (not catching)until dark.
Yesterday I took the kids out fishing (again not catching anything) then went to church and brunch with my parents before riding to Pine river where I met up with Tami and the kids and headed home. Homemade Pizzas, wine and Mario cart before bed.
No ride tonight as my legs are tired. I do need to finish getting my sprinklers going as my lawn completely turned brown over the weekend. I turned them on for the first time this year last night and they are spraying all over.

No comments:
Post a Comment